[rescue] Anyone using a BlackBox KVM with a Sun?

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 6 19:42:41 CDT 2003

I recently happened upon a 16 port BlackBox ServSwitch Ultra for a song.
Finally, a way to consolidate my smorgasbord of consoles!

Trouble is, it came only with a bunch of Apple cables (ADB & Mac DB15 video)
and BlackBox wants insane amounts ($75+) for Sun cables. PC cables are
nearly as expensive.

The obvious solution is to make my own cables. To do that I need to
reverse-engineer the pinout of the DB25 at the KVM end of the cable. The
Apple cables were easy to map and I've found a cheap PC cable to do the same
with.

Does anyone happen to have a Sun cable that you'd be willing to (a)
reverse-engineer the pinout for (should be straight-forward), or (b) loan to
me for a few days so I can do it? I'd be willing to place a deposit on the
loaner so you'd have some insurance that I'm really going to send it back.

I plan to make the pinout available for other KVM users with budgets as
small as mine.

--Adam