[rescue] Re: AS/400 question

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 5 16:33:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > It's not PowerPC.  It's PowerAS.  Not *exactly* the same thing.
>
>    I have an AS/400 book here that states the later AS/400s CPUs are
> slightly modified PPC 604 and 604e chips, if memory serves.  I wonder
> what they changed.

I don't know.  I can go looking for the assembler programming guide for
these machines, if you're interested.  I just know that IBM says there's a
difference.

> > It'll run IBM's own linux, and it'll run implied-license OS/400.
>
>    Is IBM's AS/400 Linux obtainable (i.e. downloadable)?  Is it worth
> hunting down one of these machines?

I would *guess* that it is.  I know *I* can get it, but that's different.
I would probably suggest running OS/400 anyway.  There's all sorts of
other machines that will run Linux better.

Peace...  Sridhar