SGI non-linear editing ... was[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Rob Fielding rob at dsvr.net
Wed Jun 4 08:24:45 CDT 2003

Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 01:13:46AM -0500, Andrew Giedraitis wrote:
>
>>MY intergraph GT1 is 45 lbs with 2 thin drives
>>of course my indigo IRIS and R10000 are very dense also
>>But I believe the heavier machines are built better
>>even the wintel SGI 320 is afairly dense unit (and an excellent video
>>editing computer)
>>what unix SGI's are best for video?

The O2 would be the best insofar as that's what it was designed for. It has the ICE processor for built in compression too.
The Octane takes a couple of video options, however they get very expensive - and remember that if you don't get compression you'll have to fork out
for some fast big disks, which could cost about as much as the compression option ;>

Does anyone know why the dmedia libraries MUST postprocess everything into MJPEG quicktime files ?

I don't know about the Onyx/Onyx2 and O3000 etc etc however I'll bet they take similar options as the Octane2 - that means HDTV and that means BIGGER
BUCKS ;)

> Any of those other than the O2 is going to be serious scratch.
Serious CASH, definately.

> There are options for the Indy and I2, but those cards tend to cost so
> much as to make an O2 with AV option look like a much better deal,
> especially since it's quality would be higher.

Mapleson (http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/i2info.html) raves about his Indigo2 R10k Extreme + video options but last I saw Cosmo options for the
Indy were about 300 USD and you can pick up a faster O2 which has SCSI2 and 100MBit ethernet and more expansion for around that...

Cheers,

--

Rob Fielding
Development 	Designer Servers Ltd 	www.dsvr.co.uk