[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jun 3 16:42:27 CDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:13:35 -0400
>From: "Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net>
>To: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>, The Rescue List
<rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD
>
>On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 05:13:55PM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> >From: Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com>
>> >To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>> >Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD
>> >Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:25:22 -0500

>> Another option as well, if you have enough Wintel debris laying around,
>> there is Solaris for Intel.  I've been running it on a P200MMX box as a
>> server for about 3 years now.... stable, reliable, and Solaris (I went
>> that route because I had the hardware, and better yet, I had ultraSCSI
>> for the PC boxes... best I had for the SPARCS was fast/wide).
>
>Would REALLY like to hear about Solaris/Intel experiences now that
>Oracle has agreed to port their database to it.

Well, I haven't done Oracle on it... I use it as a NFS server, Samba server,
and also handle Win98 logins via Samba with it.  I never got around to
setting up support for Mac file sharing... but then again since I've I've
moved I haven't gotten even one Mac setup at all.

>Is it stable?  Does it do SMP? etc.

Stable... yeah... I've only had it go down due to extended power outages,
once due to overheating (I found that the front fan was oriented to blow out
instead of in.... when the dust accumlated enough to stop the small airflow
it had (due to the fans fighting each other) it overheated).

fury% uptime
  5:40pm  up 341 day(s), 20:29,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.01

Geez... only 24 more days to go and it will have been up for a year !
Wow... been a while .... didn't realize it had been up that long.

Watch there be an extended power failure at day 364 !  doh ! I better
start knocking on wood...