[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jun 3 16:13:55 CDT 2003

>From: Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD
>Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:25:22 -0500
>
>"Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
>> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
>> >
>> >I'd reconsider spending money on an SS/20 - I got a very nice SGI
>> >Ingido^2 w/R10K 195 MHz CPU, 512 Meg RAM, 2x 4 Gig HD and framebuffer
>> >(no keyboard, mouse, CD-ROM) for about $100 of e-bay. Granted it was a
>> >very good deal, but you are looking to spend upwards of $150 to get an
>> >SS/20 in shape...
>>
>> The SS20 has two big advantages over the Indigo 2..... size... and weight !
>
>Well, and I allready have a SS20. From what I understand, they're probably
>quieter.

Definately.... and they also throw much less heat !

>More importantly,  I don't want to teach my dad on a system I'm not
>familiar with, which means sticking with Sun or x86 at the moment. More
>importantly, I'm terrible at getting good deals off ebay. Every time I've
>gotten a "good deal" recently, it's been for a reason :-(

Sorry to hear that... most of my ebay purchases have been satisfactory...
although once in a long while you hit the lemon pot (as some people here
may remember my 10 cpu "as is" lot.... bad move on my part).

>> >An Ultra 1-170 should cost similar (or less) equiped similarly...
>
>Well, Ultra-1 ram works in a SS20, so I figure buying ram for either would run
>about the same. Looking at ebay, most of the systems have only 64 or 128mb of
>ram...

Yes, SS20, U1, U2 all use the same RAM (and other Suns do as well... a ss10
can use SS20 RAM... but you shouldn't use SS10 ram in an SS20).

>> The SS20 is still smaller if size is an issue.  Only thing I'd recommend
>> anyone thinking of getting a U1 would be is go for the E models... they
>> have 100Mbit ethernet and support wide SCSI to the disks.
>
>Well, basically I have the 20 allready, and it looks spiffy sitting where it
>is. For running a few xterms, it probably is sufficiently fast :-) He may
>very well switch to a mac next time his desktop is up for replacement, as the
>collage gives people the option to have either a mac or a pc. OS X Yummyness!

I like the 20... and parts are generally very cheap... the boxes are very
(VERY !) dependable (as most Sun equipment I've had the pleasure of using/
owning is).

I have yet to play with OS/X.... somday....

Another option as well, if you have enough Wintel debris laying around,
there is Solaris for Intel.  I've been running it on a P200MMX box as a
server for about 3 years now.... stable, reliable, and Solaris (I went
that route because I had the hardware, and better yet, I had ultraSCSI
for the PC boxes... best I had for the SPARCS was fast/wide).