[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jun 3 11:19:32 CDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:27:09 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD
>To: "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>, The Rescue List
<rescue at sunhelp.org>

>--- "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
>> >--- Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com> wrote:
>
>> The SS20 has two big advantages over the Indigo 2..... size... and
>> weight !
>>
>> (first time I picked up an Indigo 2 I was wondering if SGI had a
>> patent on exceeding the laws of physics with its materials
>> density :-) ... onlything worse is a SparcServer 1000)
>
>An Indigo^2 *only* weighs 35 pounds in full dress shipping crate...

You better get your scale(s) checked...

I just weighted my Indigo 2 (R10K 195, Max Impact, cdrom, 2 hds)...

48 pounds !!!  No crate !

>> >An Ultra 1-170 should cost similar (or less) equiped similarly...
>>
>> The SS20 is still smaller if size is an issue.  Only thing I'd
>> recommend anyone thinking of getting a U1 would be is go for
>> the E models... they have 100Mbit ethernet and support wide SCSI
>> to the disks.
>
>Unless the stated goal is to either re-decorate or bench-press, I still
>think an Indigo^2 or Ultra 1 would be a better box to solve the
>*computational* needs of the planned user. Opinions of purple vs. beige
>aside! ;^)

As I am not familiar with LaTEX, etc, I can't comment on one boxes
ability vs another to do the job.  With the right config, an SS20 is
still a very nice machine... but definately not a powerhouse.  Configs
like dual SM71, dual SM81, dual HS150, dual HS166, dual H142, quad
HS125, etc are quite nice.

Mozilla is bit piggy on an SS20 with HS180 I have.... but I could use
more RAM in that box which is probably effecting it.

>=====
>Lionel

.
.
.

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
rescue at hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices