[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jun 3 09:53:54 CDT 2003

>Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 03:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>
>--- Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com> wrote:
>
>> #1 is for my "re-introduce Dad to unix" project. I figure anyone
>> whose favorite editor was Brief, and writes everyting in LaTeX,
>> really needs a Unix box! The SS-20 was my main desktop during
>> college, and I left it with my parents when I moved to Houston
>> for grad school a year ago. The RasterFLEX-HR and 10krpm drive
>> are nice, and I have an SM71 to go in it, but the whole 80mb of
>> ram bit kinda sucks. I figure with a pair of SM71's and half a
>> gig of ram, it should make a nice machine for editing LaTeX on :-)
>
>I'd reconsider spending money on an SS/20 - I got a very nice SGI
>Ingido^2 w/R10K 195 MHz CPU, 512 Meg RAM, 2x 4 Gig HD and framebuffer
>(no keyboard, mouse, CD-ROM) for about $100 of e-bay. Granted it was a
>very good deal, but you are looking to spend upwards of $150 to get an
>SS/20 in shape...

The SS20 has two big advantages over the Indigo 2..... size... and weight !

(first time I picked up an Indigo 2 I was wondering if SGI had a patent on
exceeding the laws of physics with its materials density :-) ... onlything
worse is a SparcServer 1000)

>An Ultra 1-170 should cost similar (or less) equiped similarly...

The SS20 is still smaller if size is an issue.  Only thing I'd recommend
anyone thinking of getting a U1 would be is go for the E models... they
have 100Mbit ethernet and support wide SCSI to the disks.

>Just a thought...
>

>=====
>Lionel

.
.
.

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
rescue at hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices