[rescue] Re: Happy happy happy! Joy joy joy!

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Mon Jun 2 17:22:48 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:50:31AM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
>
> > Virtual Console [0] (borrowing? the JTAG support from the SC2000,
> > actually), created the first "system domains" in a Unix box (fairly
>
> Is that any relationship to the JTAG stuff I'm doing?

I dunno, what kind of JTAG stuff are you doing? :-)  I'm talking about the
SPARCcenter 2000, not the LSI SC2000 (which pops up in Google as a popular
JTAG prototyping/debugging tool), in case there was any confusion...

I haven't found any on-line copies of the hardcopy docs I have, but
haven't searched very hard yet.  The big difference between the JTAG
implementations is that the CS6400 requires that the cable be hooked up to
the SSP for normal functioning; if the SC2000/E control board detects that
the JTAG interface is connected, it drops all the CPUs into slave mode and
halts very early in POST - so on that machine it's only useful for factory
burn-in and diagnostics.  But they mention that you could, in theory, use
the JTAG port to monitor and detect hardware faults without disturbing the
running OS, but that was never implemented.

-- Chris