[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 31 20:02:28 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:07:30PM -0400, Al Potter wrote:
> shannon at widomaker.com said:
> > I don't think any truly good floppy replacement has been offered by
> > the industry.  Nothing so far fills the needs that I see:
>
> <details ommitted>
>
> We've been having excellent luck with USB keychain drives.  Capacities go up
> to 2GIG, pricing at the other end of the extreme is excellent, and they are
> available w/ USB2, so the i/o speed is OK.
>
> Only downside is if you don't have a USB interface....

Even if you do, you might not be able to use it.

That's the real kicker... we need something that works on a reasonably
standard interface, so that everything can use it.

Even if you had to do conversion, at least the old floppies could be
made to read almost anything.

Floppies were universal because for years they were the only drives on
some systems. It took years really for all systems to have the 1.44MB
3.5" floppy.

Nothing like that has happened since, so there isn't that kind of
momentum behind anything right now.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com