An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 31 17:39:18 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 01:57 PM, Kevin Loch wrote:
> Stupid idea of the moment:
> New web browser written from SCRATCH in plain
> old C.  Make a simple, fast gui, with emphasis
> on the fast.

I think this is a good idea, but the marketing aspect
is the killer.  I have a friend working at the Omnigroup
(they make a good Mac browser), and this is one of
their issues...just getting the word out to get the
sales.  They have to compete against the "included
everywhere" IE, and the free (Netscape/Mozilla/Chimera/
Safari, etc).

Tough place to be.  Could be a good place to gain a name
to make money elsewhere, though.

My idea was to start a geek "clean up crew".  There are
lots of companies moving in Silicon Valley, due to dropping
rents, and there are also lots of companies going under and
just abandoning their premises.

The idea is to offer the service of post-move/abandoned
shop clean up, with the cleaning company gaining the right
to claim any abandoned property left at the facility.  The
property management pays up front for the cleaning services,
and based upon some mutually agreed upon appraisal process,
either has their cleaning service cost reduced based on
the value of the abandoned property, and/or, pays extra
based on the cost of disposing of hazardous materials/
valueless equipment (e.g. monitors).

Any property taken away by the cleaning co is auctioned
off or distributed amongst the partners of the company.  I
need more bodies and at least one extroverted geek,
though.  I've been pre-occupied with other stuff and
haven't really looked into it further. (I still wish
I had an idea SWAT team.)

=Nadine=