An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Jul 31 16:11:03 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:57:15PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> I think you guys were on the right track with the start your own
> business idea.  Not necessarally the ideas that were proposed,
> but a bunch of geeks with no job commitments holding them
> back should be a formidable force.  How many times have
> you had a great business idea, only to say to yourself
> "But I've got a good paying job, I need to focus on that".
> Well, now's your chance!
>
> Stupid idea of the moment:
> New web browser written from SCRATCH in plain
> old C.
[...]
> Business model:
>
> License fees for dev kit
> License fees for branding on "Approved and verified" plugins.
> Consulting fees for developing obscure features that some
> corporate user "must have"
> Support contracts for corp users (this requires investment in

I think you forgot the "Get crushed like a bug by Microsoft" part.  :)/2

My wife and I are actually working on a plan that we think we may be
able to make fly.  We have our business plan pretty much figured out,
and the technology problems are just about resolved, though we're still
looking at some details there.  What's left is the economics, the
initial target market, and seed capital.  We may well be able to get it
off the ground on a small-business grant from one of the
disabled-business-opportunity programs.