An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 31 14:05:22 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 11:18 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, N.Miller wrote:
>
>> Let me be clear: Clarify sucks rocks.
>
> Can it possibly be worse than Remedy?

I should probably say, "Don't get me started...", but, you
did ask...

Our first line team went from 6 people who could do the
job without any kind of problems to 10 in the space of
3 months b/c of Clarify.  Very negative impact on
productivity because of all the manual sorting that had
to be done.

Does Remedy start up a fake "windows registry" daemon under
UNIX which doesn't die when you exit Clarify?  Does it allow
you to record macros (Clarify does not--it only allows you
to *apply* a macro).  Does Remedy allow you to highlight
multiple cases, making you think you can do an action to all
cases at once, and then fail?

Does it honor UNIX key bindings?  Does it allow you to close
multiple cases with a single message to deal with widespread
outages like often happen in large organizations?

If you apply a macro on a UNIX instance of the application,
it *steals* focus for every editing window that comes open.
You can't do SQL queries from the graphical application (only
from the API interface).

But here's my favorite thing about Clarify--the engineers at
their company had the nerve to tell us that it was originally
developed under SunOS, and was ported to the PC.  This in
spite of the fact that the UI not only doesn't conform to
X-Windows standards (it originally used those commercial
Motif libraries before moving to the "fake" Windows libraries),
but it *also* doesn't conform to the standard M$ UI (nor Mac,
either, not that there is a  Mac client that I am aware of).
WTF?

In short, it sucks rocks.  I can think of many, many people,
myself included, that would love to see their HQ building
swallowed by one of those famous California earthquakes.

(I used to have my email archive from Cisco, but it died
when a disk died on me last year.  It's good that I don't
or this message would be a lot longer.)

=Nadine=