Floppy successor [was Re: [rescue] Total corporate madness]

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 31 12:38:41 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 05:12 PM, Scott Newell wrote:

>> I don't think any truly good floppy replacement has been offered by
>> the
>> industry.  Nothing so far fills the needs that I see:
>>
>> * cheap
>> * writable without burning, and very high rewrite limits
>> * reliable
>> * reasonably fast, though I don't care if they can run apps... just
>>  1MB/sec would be fine and probably doable on the cheap.
>> * platform-neutral hardware (ubiquitous)
>> * a platform-neutral filesystem would be ideal
>> * the ability to use it as a pure block device
>>
>> Nothing right now fits the bill.  If Zip had been reliable, it could
>
> Flash is getting pretty close, except that you can't (yet) consider the
> media disposable.  I've been happily using CF as my floppynet media for
> some time, but those cute little USB flash drives look attractive too.

I had read somewhere that the LS120 was supposed to be coming
out with a faster drive.

I have to agree though.  I have pretty much forgone floppies in
favor of a portable FW drive and my home network.  Zip disks have
been an "accidental" thing (a lot of modern Macs have them built-
in).  The Zip market is still *huge* for Mac users; zip drives
regularly go for over $20 on LEMswap.  And Costco still carries
them, so that means they must be selling...

=Nadine=