[rescue] Jeez!!! Are ethernet taps are a racket business?

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Jul 30 20:52:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 18:15, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Depending on your network, many intelligent hubs can have a port set
> for monitoring network traffic.  Sometimes the port is no longer good
> for actuall communication, only sniffing...  and of course if you have
> more network packets that can flow down that monitoring line, then some
> will get dropped.....
>
> I believe many Cisco's can do this....

It's called port spanning and I believe it's still limited to a single
VLAN.  I've used it on jobs before, but I'm doing some experimenting
with IDS and honeynets (among other stuff) and I have to use equipment
that I can cobble together <grin>.

In other words... several Cisco switches are OUT!

I'll prolly hit up the focus-ids list, but most everybody on there is
well funded and will not have "cobbled" anything together.

Thanks tho,

-Daniel