An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Jul 30 20:11:29 CDT 2003

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
>
>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 03:59:03PM -0500, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>> I've been over DSLreports repeatedly.  There aren't very many reports
>> from PA in it, let alone my part of PA.  I think that Covad might offer
>> SDSL service in my area, but it starts at $140 for IDSL speed service.
>> If all else fails, I should be able to get actual ISDN for $100,
>
>Remember, with ISDN, it's not the monthly fee that kills you -- it's the
>per-minute connect charges.  The only way to avoid the per-minute
>charges is to go with an ISP that offers Centrex ISDN, which makes you
>logically part of their internal phone system as far as the telco is
>concerned.  I wouldn't even CONSIDER non-Centrex ISDN, because if I
>could afford non-Centrex ISDN, I could afford a fractional T1.

The other way around this is using Data-Over-Voice.  Essentially the
equipment flags the call as a voice call, and therefore you don't get
billed (provided it is a local call).  Some equipment can't bond two
56K DOV channels though.  But if it can, that 112K.  Cost is the
ISDN line (2B), and whatever a local (or national) ISP that will
sell you ISDN dialin service for 2B DOV.

>The telcos and the Feds, between them, have effectively killed ISDN in
>the US as a data service.

No kidding.  ISDN kicks butt (not in speed, but in terms of features,
etc... it is the digital phone service designed to replace analog phones).

The RBOCs never caught on, barely even knew (or admitting knowing) what
ISDN is....

Now broadband is here... so for data, ISDN is only worth it if you can't
get something better.

>--

-- Curt

Curtis Wilbar
Hawk Mountain Networks
rescue at hawkmountain.net

My e-mail is protected against viruses and spam by MailGuardian
                  http://www.mailguardian.net
          Top notch protection at unbelievable prices