IOS (was Re: [rescue] Being jobless)

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Jul 30 14:02:25 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 11:36, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2003, Daniel de Young wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both Catalyst and PIX bought from
> > other companies?
>
> Catalyst was bought from at least two different companies (Kalpana and
> Grand Junction) and merged into a single product line which later had
> IOS stapled on top.  PIX was also bought from another company.

Cool.  I always wondered at this, but never charged up my google finger
to find out the story!

> You'd have a very hard time using email or browsing the web without
> the telnet protocol, which is why I'd want it on a PIX--to test
> services and access, not to perform administration.

Fair enough.

> That's not what I meant.  I always use serial for firewalls.  That's why
> I said telnet _command_, not telnet _daemon_.

I get it.  I guess they didn't want to leave an army of paper CCNAs
wondering why there was a "useless" telnet client when there wasn't
*even* a telnet daemon (uhm, I mean service) ;-)

-Daniel