IOS (was Re: [rescue] Being jobless)

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Jul 30 13:25:29 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 10:36, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
> > I like IOS, but it is inconsistent... especially some of the IOS versions
> > for switches,
>
> Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten about that abomination.  The IOS for LD and
> IOS-alike for PIX are ever so much worse.  In an LD, when you enter
> configuration mode, you can run normal exec-mode commands AND
> configuration commands, but you can't run configuration commands from
> vanilla exec-mode.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both Catalyst and PIX bought from
other companies?  Looks like... buy and then "extend" and OS to look a
little MORE like IOS than maybe it should.

What's a real trip is working with their Layer 3 blades on a CAT.  Two
OSs on the same device.  First time I did that, it was like getting my
sea legs!

> And let's not even talk about the omission of the -telnet- command in
> PIX's IOS-alike.

Personally, I'm glad PIX doesn't have telnet.  Telnet should be going
the way of the dodo just... about... now.  Would have been nice if they
did a better job integrating ssh into PIX though.  I see your point on
those grounds, but running a firewall access password in plaintext over
*any* network is not something that should be a "feature".  Just the
thought of all those people who would IF they could makes me kind of
sick to my stomach.  Heck, I might even be lured into doing it "in a
pinch".  Overall... good move on their part.  Console ports on nearby
boxen are cheap and you can always ssh to them.

-Daniel