An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 30 12:40:10 CDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    The SET/DEFINE thing originally came from DEC terminal servers, I
> believe...at least that's the first place I saw that kind of user
> interface.  "SET xxx" changes a parameter immediately, while "DEFINE
> xxx" changes it in the saved configuration.  It makes sense (to me) but
> it's perhaps not the most convenient way to do it.  It's fine once you
> get used to it though.

Yes.  THAT makes sense.  The X1000/7410 didn't do it that way.  There
was no correleation at -all- (to the end-user, if you know a bit about
the internals, you know that DEFINE commands usually consume more memory
and CREATE commands usually add data to an internal/hidden namespace)
between SET, DEFINE, and CREATE.  Oh, and there was also REMOVE and
DESTROY and UNSET.  No, they aren't a perfect inverse mapping to DEFINE,
CREATE, and SET.

There was something wonky about getting command-line help, too, though I
can't remember what that was.  I think it was that you could type ? to
get help like in IOS, but had to retype the whole command from the
beginning afterwards, or something like that.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford