[rescue] Re: Being jobless

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 30 11:26:46 CDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:08:01AM -0700, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > >
> > > This is why I wish we had a replacement of the GNU tools and compilers,
> > > that didn't have these legal restrictions.
> > >
> > > I appreciate what GNU has done, but really, life is too short to deal
> > > with politics on top of writing code.
> >
> > Part of the reason why we have those tools is because of the GPL, love it
> > or hate it... I just find a bit ironic comments like those above. Had not
> > been for those "politics" many people would not have bother to write that
> > software to begin with :).
>
> You are assuming nothing else would have come up.  This is a classic,
> and incorrect argument.

Acutally, not to be nitpicky but yours is the wrong argument: when making
assumptions about what never happened and arguing with them against what
actually did happen: what actually did happen wins :). Heh, one should
never assume nothing about history. If it did not happen there is no point at
guess what would have happened really... so let me see all those gnu-like free
development tools: looks, and looks, and looks, and looks, hum... I just do
not see them. Oh, it could not the the gpl of course not :).

> Linux would likely have adopted the BSD toolset, for example.

Using which compiler? :)