An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 30 10:35:48 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 11:31 AM, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>> You need to see an Alcatel 7410 (previous known as the Assured Access
>> X1000).  THAT was, by far, the fugliest CLI I've ever seen.  Imagine
>> the
>> worst bits of IOS (impossible to predict what -that- part of the CLI
>> "tree" would call what you're trying to do) mixed with the worst bits
>> of
>> DCL (everything was either SET or DEFINE or CREATE with no seeming
>> rhyme
>> or reason).  Add to that, some of the commands would go into a
>> full-screen curses-like environment.  It even had a built-in text
>> editor
>> that resembled no other editor I'd ever seen, except for maybe TECO.
>
> The SET/DEFINE thing sounds a lot like the CLI in Lantronix stuff....
> I don't like it... I feel like I'm using VMS :-)  (not that VMS is bad,
> I just always felt it's way of doing things (set /this /that /more
> this /more
> that /etc) was painfull.

   The SET/DEFINE thing originally came from DEC terminal servers, I
believe...at least that's the first place I saw that kind of user
interface.  "SET xxx" changes a parameter immediately, while "DEFINE
xxx" changes it in the saved configuration.  It makes sense (to me) but
it's perhaps not the most convenient way to do it.  It's fine once you
get used to it though.

           -Dave