[rescue] Being jobless

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Jul 30 03:48:16 CDT 2003

> This is why I wish we had a replacement of the GNU tools and compilers,
> that didn't have these legal restrictions.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think we would not have the GNU
tools and compilers for such a broad variety of architectures if the
licence would have not forbidden non-free forks. Companies would just
have forked the codebase and created a proprietary toolchain that would
have vanished toghether with the company.

So the "keep-it-free" licence has actually kept it alive and slowly
getting forward (instead of a short but fast run and then stop).

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)