An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 30 03:32:05 CDT 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Michael Schiller wrote:

> Is that something new? A couple of years ago when I was using ISDN, the
> ISP I was using onemain.com was bought out by earthlink. Back then
> besides not wanting ISDN business they were blocking port 25 & 80, and
> possibly more, but those are the ones an earthlink customer service rep
> told me about.

I don't know, but the guy I talked to on the phone (when trying to
choose a new ISP) said:

  1) It's okay to run servers, even web or mail servers.
  2) They don't block anything.
  3) They know what NetBSD is, and they know it can connect just fine
     to their network.

That won my business pretty quickly.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford