[rescue] Re: Being jobless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jul 30 00:37:25 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:10:36PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> No, that it generates bad code for RISC platforms.  While the core
> (on the other side of the microcode) of many x86 processors is RISC,
> IA32 is not RISC.

I don't know... I've always found it risky to run one...

> It isn't a good compiler.  It sucks on the majority of the platforms it
> runs on.  If it runs stellar on one platform, that's hardly indicative
> of a good product.

Nor is it indicative of a bad product: it just doesn't target what you
want it to target.

GNU is a product of its users.

The RISC users have not put the work into it that the 68K and x86 people
have.

> > Is this really a GNU compiler problem though?  I see this with compilers
> > and systems from DEC, Sun, and SGI too.
>
> All compilers have extensions, yes.

I was referring to peope making assumptions of the "all the world is X"
nature.

> However, vendor's compiler have
> switches for flagging those extensions.

Many of them yes.  I've had to deal with those that didn't as well.

My problem with gcc is not defaulting to this behavior.

> > I'm talking about supporting what is now a common x86 ISA.  Wether they
> > like it or not, 3DNow! is part of the Intel landscape.
> >
> > This is far different from supporting another CPU entirely.
>
> Which Intel CPUs support 3DNow!?

The ones made by AMD... :)