An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Wed Jul 30 00:37:38 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:50:51PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> IOS is Good Stuff.  After you've messed with everything else, you come
> to LOVE how easy it is to work with.  Seriously, you can go from knowing
> nothing to being able to do just about anything on a 2600 during a
> leisurely weekend.

Hmm.  I've always detested IOS, really.  I love the idea of a command-line
configuration language for routers, but the way IOS does it is pretty much
a textbook example of what *not* to do, in my opinion.  It really feels
like each separate type of interface got added to the CLI by a completely
different group, with no coordination or discussion between them, so you're
having to switch mental models as well (in at least one case) the order of
parameters that otherwise are the same sort of information, when dealing
with two of the most common interfaces.

IOS is pretty good at what it does, but the command set and the CLI need
a complete overhaul from the ground up.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take its