[rescue] UFS logging on disksuite RAID5?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jul 28 22:17:46 CDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> I am a little confused by how to enable UFS logging when mounting a
> disksuite RAID5 device.  Do I need to set up a different disk to hold
> the UFS log or not?  The docs on docs.sun.com don't make it very clear.

I think Solaris 8 introduced ufs logging in the kernel. Mount with
"logging" option and it's automatic, uses unused space in the filesystem
or something like that.

Other Solaris versions can use a logging or "trans" device in disksuite,
as can 8 and later.

There may be performance benefits or penalties in either direction. I
have tended to use the kernel-based logging because it doesn't require
disk reconfiguration to implement. YMMV, of course.

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com