An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 28 16:52:43 CDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:02:45 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
[snip]
> And, lacking an IP, you can't portscan it to see if it falls down.  (A
> Speedstream 58xx will go immediately to 100% CPU and stop routing
> traffic.)
>
> I suppose you could find a volunteer with a nice fast connection and try
> portscanning *them* or ask them to portscan you, and see if the bridge
> falls over....
Actually, other than the aforementioned SMB traffic, I pretty much log all
unsolicited traffic coming in, and nothing unusual has really stood out.
Not to mention the lockups occur when there doesn't seem to be any other
traffic. And usually before it happens, the modem starts progressively
"slowing down" i.e. FTP downloads from close, fast sites get significantly
slower. Probably a firmware bug but, again, no way to upgrade it :-/