An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jul 28 16:02:45 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 04:25:50PM -0400, Mike F wrote:
> I strongly suspect this is true in my case as well. The CPE Covad
> provides (hey, it's free) is a DSL "modem" which is apparently a
> bridge, and about once a week I get problems that only resetting
> the "modem" will solve. I know there are plenty of cheap routers,
> bridges, etc. out there that freak out from Code Red and the like,
> so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a similar predicament, but
> there's no way to tell what's going on, and no way to get into the
> thing - being a bridge, it doesn't have an IP address, and there's
> no console port :-|

And, lacking an IP, you can't portscan it to see if it falls down.  (A
Speedstream 58xx will go immediately to 100% CPU and stop routing
traffic.)

I suppose you could find a volunteer with a nice fast connection and try
portscanning *them* or ask them to portscan you, and see if the bridge
falls over....