An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 28 13:24:16 CDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:06:05 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:

> > > Might want to make sure it is a business service you buy at a
> > > minimum, or else your asking for trouble.
> >
> > From a "terms and conditions" standpoint, or from a technical
> > standpoint?
>
> I'd assume both.  It's not uncommon for consumer-grade DSL services to
> have a no-resell clause, plus with a business-grade service you have a
> somewhat better level-of-service guarantee.  They at least *promise*
> to fix problems more quickly.

This was one of the reasons for choosing my current ISP. Most of the cable providers, and some of the DSL ISPs, actually forbid running any form of server in their AUPs, and some of them filter some standard ports as well. I don't think they notice small-time servers unless someone starts using you as a warez drop, etc. but it doesn't sit well with me anyway. My current ISP doesn't even have reselling restrictions, so in theory I could be an ISP for my neighbors, but none of them are the least bit technically inclined. Oh, and this is standard consumer-
grade DSL.