An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Mon Jul 28 13:08:19 CDT 2003

>Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:55:45 -0500
>From: "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net>
>Subject: Re: An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)
>
>On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:50:03PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo
>+1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>
> > Suggestion: check how many houses you can see from the top of your
> > house.  Consider offering high-speed wireless for those folks.  Buy a
> > DSL and a cable modem connection for yourself, then NAT everybody and
> > charge less.
>
>Might want to make sure it is a business service you buy at a minimum,
>or else your asking for trouble.

A definite...or at least make sure that your agreement doesn't explicitly
prevent you from re-selling the "service", most notably the bandwidth.
(you'd be providing your own mail services, I suspect...)

It helps, that if you have, your own class C IP address (like I
do).   You'll have to
do a lot of 'splaing to folks, but you also can rather quickly weed out the
ISP's that
don't know very much....my favorite line was "You don't have a class C address"
to which I replied, "Why don't you go to Arin and check..."...a few sec, and
a very quiet "oh, I'm sorry".  Needless to say, they didn't get my business.

BTW, has anybody done much point to point wireless stuff, saw with like the
Canteena?

Earl