[rescue] ibook disassembly

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Jul 27 23:08:36 CDT 2003

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 12:07 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:04:43AM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>> Urk, be nice to your poor machine, don't get the Rat Shack thermal
>> compound.  It's the same stuff that you see 'geeks' putting on their
>> nose for sunscreen in 60s and 70s movies.  Really cheap crappy stuff.
>> Get some of the 'luxury' stuff that PC Rice Boys use, it's got a much
>> higher thermal conductivity, and it's a lot easier to put on the
>> super-thin layer that you really need (all it has to do is make sure
>> the
>> seal between the aluminum sinc and the CPU is tight and air-free).
>
> Seconded.  Arctic Silver is your friend.

The g3 in the ibook has no heatsink, but point taken.  And, I prefer
heatsinks with copper on the bottom.  Athlon's are not happy with
stock heatsinks, from my experience, so I am a fan of Orbs.

> Oh, and go to your local medical supply store and buy a bottle of
> surgical alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol).  It's great stuff for
> cleaning
> off the old heatsink goo (etc) without worrying about accidental spills
> harming anything.  You'll find a hundred uses for it; trust me on this.

Debated on doing that in private email to MikeH, but turns out I
managed to get the mobo out after all.  I was being too polite to
it.

I also found out that while there is no exploded diagram view in
the iBook/iBook SE technician's manual, there *is* one in the iBook/
iBook FW technician's manual, and aside from the FW ports, they
appear to be the same.

It's laying on the kitchen counter (good thing I have a hubby, and
not a wife ;-) waiting to see if someone will buy it as is with the
6GB HD, or if they want a bigger one.

=Nadine=