[rescue] USIII paperweights, some assembly required

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Jul 27 15:02:31 CDT 2003

So.  As previously reported, I've been unable to find anywhere to get
these CPUs[1] cast into lucite.  I've also heard nothing back from Shawn
Wallbridge, who I therefore assume has had no luck getting in touch with
the friend of his who does such things.

(Shawn, if this is incorrect and you DO have news, please let us know.)

This being the case, it looks like it's bare CPUs or nothing, unless
anyone ELSE has the capability locally to them to get bare CPUs made
into Lucite paperweights.  (If so, please speak up now.)  The following,
then, is the list (in order) of those who have requested CPUs:

1.   Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
2.   Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>
3.   Eric Dittman <dittman at dittman.net>
4.   William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com>
5.   Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
6.   Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
7.   Bruce Pullig <bpullig at houston.oilfield.slb.com>
8.   Michael Schiller <schiller at agrijag.com>
9.   Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt at csh.rit.edu>
10.  Mattias Nordlund <mathew at eagle.y.se>
11.  Larry Snyder <larrys at lexisnexis.com>
12.  Earl D. Baugh Jr. <earl at baugh.org>
13.  Espen Randen <eranden at broadpark.no>
14.  robert at rits.com.au
15.  Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
16.  Matt <laz at moaa.net>
17.  Kevin Lee <kevin at c0rp.com>
18.  vance at neurotica.com

Being still jobless and flat broke, I'm going to request a contribution
of $10 per CPU, plus estimated shipping of $2.  If you are on the list
above and still interested in getting one for $12, no lucite
paperweight, no fancy printed certificate declaring that I have no
authority whatsoever to declare these authentic technological artifacts
of the opening years of the 21st century, please reply to me with your
snail mail address and I'll send confirmations back to the first 11
takers in the order listed above.  If you've decided you're NOT
interested any more, please let me know that too, so that I can pass
unwanted CPUs on to those lower on the list.

[1]  For those who've forgotten the details, these are prototype 600MHz
     UltraSparc III processors.  I was assured by the Sun engineer who
     gave them to me that they are not supported in *ANYTHING*, but hey,
     if you feel lucky....