[rescue] does this guy know his stuff?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun Jul 27 11:22:44 CDT 2003

> > > I am dealing with doing software RAID5 on Sol9 with 3 or 4 disks.  I
> >
> > I'm sure you already know this, but to get performance you're starting
> > from the wrong place. You'll probably get a far greater performance
> > boost by switching to striping and mirroring than any other tweaking
> > (except to the application).
>
> I prefer RAID 5, rather than 0+1, becuase it's more space-efficient.

Disks have become relatively inexpensive.  Because of that, I prefer to
build 0+1.  Depending on the RAID controller support, my preference is
actually for 1+0.  That way, if I lose one disk, only one disk has to
be rebuilt rather than the whole stripeset.

I'm currently in the process of moving a bunch of RAID 5 sets over to
a bunch of RAID 0+1 sets.  I would use 1+0, but on this system I have
to do the mirroring after the striping due to an application requirement.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net