[rescue] Divide and conquer

Shirker shirker at mooli.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 04:57:24 CDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > > using "classic" mainframe I/O (CICS) and use "classic" databases
> > (IMS or
> > But... but... CICS is *cool*!
> YES! ;^)

Seeing all this has prodded my memory: my work uses 1471-clone terminals
going to some mainframe or other a few floors down from where I work.

I'd be fascinated to know what the machine is (my best guess so far is a
System/370).

Anyway, one of the screens you get has the following title:

"$workname CICS TRANSACTION HANDLER"

Can anyone give me a clue as to what it might be grunting away in the
basement? ;)

I've also seen positions advertised for COBOL maintenance programmers.

Ed.

--
I remember why I started becoming less tolerant, and I think I should strive
to become less tolerant in future. - RobA