[rescue] blind pig!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jul 24 17:36:21 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 02:00 AM, dave venable wrote:
> It is said "every now and then, even a blind pig finds an acorn"

   ...and pays a doctor a hefty sum to have it removed.

> Today I came across 7 RS6000 in 2 racks, with 4ea 8 disk arrays. The
> owner
> says that if I help him inventory them, I can get a rack full cheap.
> They
> are clean and complete.

   Cool!

> My question to all is, Does a RS6000 boot to serial just like a Sun?
> Should
> I use 9600,8,N,1 in serial 1? He is taking me over to his storage unit
> where
> he sez he has boxes of stuff and cards that came with them. I have
> lurked on
> this list long enough to know about the RS600 keyboard requirements.

   9600 8N1 should work on the first serial port if there's no video
card in the system.

> They have some funny cards in them, the outputs are 4 small oval
> connectors,
> kind of a mini 68 pin scsi interface, only smaller than a dime. Does
> anyone
> have any ideas about these?

   Probably SSA as others have suggested.  It's a high-speed serial
storage bus similar in principle (if not implementation) to FC-AL.

> Are these cool units?

   It's likely that they are very cool units.  Get model numbers and
we'll dig up the specifics.

       -Dave