[rescue] Divide and conquer

Joshua Snyder josh at imagestream.com
Thu Jul 24 16:01:42 CDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Daniel de Young wrote:

<snip>
> I still haven't found one of these rare exceptions.  I did read about
> some mobo(s) that are specially designed to run without VGA adapters (if
> needed), but they were costly high end units
>
> -Daniel.

I think it is all a matter of what type of Pc your using.  I have found
that a good general rule for booting without a video card is "if it's a
brand name computer(Hp, Compaq, etc..) or it's a noname motherboard it
will not boot without a video card".  On the other hand almost every
decent( as far as that term can be applied when talking about Pc's)
third party mother board I have used will boot without a video card.  The
real question is what you have when you run a Pc without a video card.
Most of the time it will work fine until you need to reinstall the OS or
you have some other problem that requires you getting into the machine.  I
have ran many machines without video cards but most of the time it just
causes more of a hassle when you need to fix stuff.  Btw you might find a
server board that supports serial console in the Bios but don't be
mistaken at think that this gets you very far.  Once the Os starts to
boot it must have support for serial console or you will get nothing out
the serial port.

				josh