[rescue] Divide and conquer

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 24 12:56:18 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 09:55 AM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> YES... many old macs WILL NOT boot if the PRAM battery is dead or
> missing.  It's like the NVRAM being missing or dead on a Sparcstation.
>  The Powermacs after the x5xx series contain OpenFirmware of course
> which is very similar to Openboot... both are real firmware that have
> Forth interpreters... (Openboot?)

The reason it's similar to the Sun firmware is because it's from
Sun.  The "New World" Mac netboot/net install stuff works pretty
much like jumpstart.  One of my projects that I need to get back
to is documenting how to get a Mac net installed from a non-Apple
server.  Since you have to pay for a server license, this would be a
useful thing for people who have a non-Mac infrastructure using Macs
on the desktop.

=Nadine=