[rescue] SCSI problem.

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Jul 24 00:12:24 CDT 2003

>From: adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
>
>"From: "Earl D. Baugh Jr." <earl at baugh.org>
>"
>"I'm working on basically moving all the data I have on an
>"internal drive (a IBM 9GB) in my SS10 to an external drive (a
>"Segate ST410800N). I'm doing this to move the IBM drive to my
>"SS10sx as part of a rebuild of some of my servers (the old SS10
>"is going to be retired and sold).
>[]
>"Disconnected  tagged cmds (64) timeout for Target 1.0
>"SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout'; retrying command
>"
>"and after that I get:
>"SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command
>
>this looks like tagged command queueing, which the 410800 is far too
>old to support.
>
>there's a way to turn tcq off for an entire bus or an individual
>target, but i dunno the details.  iirc it goes in /etc/system though.

Actually I think you need to set scsi-options or target<n>-scsi-options
(where <n> is the target of the drive) in /kernel/drv/<device>.conf
file (where <device> is esp, isp, fas, etc...).  For more info
see the man pages for esp.

This is probably a firmware problem with tagged command queuing
(some early drives or firmware revs of drives just don't get it
right... and Solaris uses this feature).

Newfs didn't put a load on the drive so it didn't trip it up.

-- Curt