[rescue] blind pig!

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Jul 23 21:38:56 CDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, dave venable wrote:

> It is said "every now and then, even a blind pig finds an acorn"
>
> Today I came across 7 RS6000 in 2 racks, with 4ea 8 disk arrays. The
> owner says that if I help him inventory them, I can get a rack full
> cheap. They are clean and complete.

Cool.  What kind?

> My question to all is, Does a RS6000 boot to serial just like a Sun?
> Should I use 9600,8,N,1 in serial 1? He is taking me over to his storage
> unit where he sez he has boxes of stuff and cards that came with them. I
> have lurked on this list long enough to know about the RS600 keyboard
> requirements.

It will default to serial 1 if there isn't a framebuffer in the system.
The RS/6000 keyboard requirement only applies to AIX < 4.

> They have some funny cards in them, the outputs are 4 small oval
> connectors, kind of a mini 68 pin scsi interface, only smaller than a
> dime. Does anyone have any ideas about these?

It might be a synchronous serial card.  They have connectors similar to
what you describe.  They require external adapters for almost any purpose.

Peace...  Sridhar