[rescue] Sun E4000 systems - wow they're cheap

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 21 22:16:11 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:39:26AM -0500, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 11:23:52AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
>
> > The local SGI rep gives away hardware all the time instead of shipping
> > it back to California for recycling.
>
> So, uhm, where do you live?

In Tidewater, Virginia.

I was working at NASA LaRC this time last year, and a friend of mine
there was had the SGI rep drop off three SGI Challenge machines to his
little ISP and hosting office.  He said I could have one of them, but I
don't have room.

12 CPUs, a few hundred megs of RAM, fancy LCD goodness... :)

Sadly, they weigh 200 pounds and up... :(

Anyway, the guy removes stuff from LaRC, and sometimes he just doesn't
feel like shipping it back. He also scored some CDs and licenses for
full OS, development systems, language packs, etc.

But really, there isn't much action here. There used to be, but for
whatever reason most computers here are auctioned off elsewhere, or are
junked. It's rare to make really good finds.

I used to get stuff from the local military, but they are more paranoid
about selling old stuff off these days.

UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon at widomaker.com