[rescue] SS10 / SS20 Memory and SS10 or SS20 Clone?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Fri Jul 18 23:05:14 CDT 2003

>From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
>
>On 2003.07.18 23:01 Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that if you find good deals on SM81s that despite they
>> were made by Sun for use in the 1000/2000, they will work happily
>> in a SS10/20 and give you more SuperSparc mhz goodness !
>Well. Depends on the $$ it will take to get SM81. Main reason to get
>this machines was to get SNMP baby! ;-) Speed doesn't matter that much.
>If I wanted a fast SMP machine I would have looked for a Ultra 2 or
>faster CPUs for my AlphaServer 2000 (that has only a single 4/200).

My SS20 (which is not currently running) will be setup as a quad HS125
or dual HS142 when I finally get around to it ? :-)  For the size you
can cram a pretty decent amount of cpu power in their....

Makes for an interesting stat....  SPECint per cubic inch (or cubic
centimeter for those metric folks :-) ).

>> what does module-info tell you at the open boot prom ???
>Ahhh, module-info is the command I was looking for:
>ok module-info
>MBus  :  50 MHz
>SBus  :  25 MHz
>CPU#0 :  60 MHz SuperSPARC / SuperCache 2.x

Now I only wish I could get mine to say MBus 50MHZ ! :-(

Maybe you could let me know your jumper settings... (let me know the
jumper # and position for every jumper you can find on the mainboard...
next time I have some time I'll try your jumper positions on my board
and see what it does).

>> with SM61 or higher I believe it should run at 50mhz...
>Yes, just as the "The Rough Guide to MBus Modules" toled me. I relpaced
>the SM51 with the SM61 from the sun 4/600MP board and now I have 50 MHz
>MBus and 25 MHz SBus speed.
>
>> What OBP version is in your SparcEngine 20 ?
>2.22

I think that is the same version as mine.

>> DIMMs don't weight much, so you woulnd't have to get them locally.
>I located a bunch of 16 MB DIMMs for 1,-EUR on ebay.de...

cool.... I saved myself enough 64MB DIMMS (had a bunch at one time) to
fully populate my SS20 when I build it back up.

>[VSIMMS]
>> Shipment would not be expensive.... depends on the shipping option and
>> wether or not you want it insured.  Payment may be trickier,
>Payment is the real problem. I have no credit card (not that common in
>germany) and no paypal account. I'll think about it.

Ahh.... well... if you can get US cash and don't mind sending concealed
US cash... that would always work.... (I've received and sent cash this
way... not often mind you, but I've never had a problem yet).