[rescue] Licensing costs for second hand machines (was: Sun licensing costs)

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Fri Jul 18 05:02:50 CDT 2003

Hello Gavin & all,

  [snip]

  speaking of licensing cost: How is licensing/relicensing or sale of
  licenses handled by other server/workstation vendors?

  I can add the SGI way of doing it for IRIX (please fill in the
  gaps):

  License cost: [don't know exactly, the basic workstation environment
     including license and media kit is a couple 100 US$ I think]

  License transfer: Not allowed. Exception: License is given away with
     the machine and media. In that case the license transfer has to be
     part of the contract.

  Homeuser license: Does (not yet) exist.

  License enforcement: None for the basic operating system.

  License limitations: Optional products not included (NFS, compilers,
     etc.)

  Old versions available: No.

  A question to all: Would it be considered interesting/helpful by
  others to collect info like this?

Gerhard