[rescue] E10k systems coming down in price

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Fri Jul 18 00:29:11 CDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> Look at the following auction:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11216&item=3036076210
>
> May I be the first to say *woo-hoo*. It won't be too much longer before
> they're in the price-range for hobbiests.

Yeah, I've followed that machine through numerous relistings trying to get
my boss to consider it. :-)  Three years ago our brand new 8-way/8GB E4500
cost $52K - when they still had a list price of $250K (and the typical
developer price was only 40% off that).  Now you can get an E10K for less
than half that.  Wow.

BTW, the same sellers recently had a 64-way/64GB machine with 336Mhz/4MB
CPUs in it for under $30K, but must have sold it - someone probably
figured out that they could likely sell off half the RAM and pay for the
whole box...

It is highly tempting, though.  I'm still young enough to start a new
401(k), right? :-)

-- Chris