[rescue] Non postscript printers

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Thu Jul 17 11:42:47 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 05:36:25PM +0100, Dan Williams wrote:
> I unfortunatly have a windows only usb printer. After a lot of grief I
> have managed to get it running under cups with linux, I don't really
> want to have go through it again for other machines. Does anyone know of
> a cheap(ie. free) program for windows which can take a network
> postscript print and convert to a windows printer driver, I have found a
> few commercial programs which are way out of my price league. Apparantly
> nt server can do this but it is very slow and unreliable, can anyone
> comment on this ?

Yes, you can install Ghostscript for windows and then make it look
like a PS printer to any Unix machine.

See the info on Redmon:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/%7Eghost/redmon/index.htm

quote:

"A PostScript Windows printer redirected to a RedMon port can shared
on a network. When this printer is configured to use Ghostscript and a
non-PostScript printer, it appears as a PostScript printer to other
network clients."

Also have a look here:
http://pad.olsonnetwork.com/faqs/MakePDF_HOWTO_Images.html

(But ignore the part about setting it up with Acrobat Distiller.)

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Lisp hosting       |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/50GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |