[rescue] Look who's a slashdot weenie!

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jul 16 20:11:27 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:29 PM, Al Potter wrote:

> vraptor at promessage.com said:
>> What do you mean by "scooter" in this context, Al?
>
> It's like a bicycle, but without pedals.  The rider kicks or pushes it
> along to keep it moving.
>
> The ones I see around here are sortof like the kids topys, but have
> larger
> (15" or so) bicycle wheels.

Those were popular in the late 80's, early 90's in the FreeStyle
(BMX bike stunts) world.

I was wondering if you meant the little things with in-line
roller skate wheels the kids around here had a while back.
I've seen some other things recently that look more like a
skateboard "longboard" style deck with two wheels similar to the
ATV-type skateboards--those look a little more useful than the
scooters with the roller skate.  And of course, the annoying
things with the gas motors on them...

> Casual joking aside, I have a LOT of respect for these folks.
> Choosing to
> live like they do, and sticking with the decision, takes grit.

They live what they know.  Most of the folks in my family never
really think about doing anything else.

And it's not all pastoral splendor and understanding from them--
one of my cousins/great aunts/something had the nerve to take
me to task for being divorced (I must have been 27 or so at
the time), although she had "come to realize and accept that her
daughter's path was unlikely to be that of most Amish women."
Her daughter was in her early, unmarried, and travelled around
the country when she could afford to...just like my favorite
Amish aunt.

=Nadine=