[rescue] Look who's a slashdot weenie!

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue Jul 15 21:35:07 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 07:21 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>> Y'know, it's funny how some folks (no one on this list) make fun of
>> these folks; but they never go into debt, and over time, they sell off
>> their farms bought for say $1000 per acre to developers or other
>> farmers for much, much, more than that.
>
> Generally Amish don't.  Mennonites in general might be more debt free
> than the general American, but some (many) do borrow money.

The Amish I know try very hard to keep any farm/land they have
within the Amish community.  When my grandfather died, they basically
took a bath on the farm price to keep it in the immediate family.
This was somewhat offset by the fact that my grandmother and aunt
got to stay, rent free, in their house on the farm (in the 'new',
smaller house, that my grandfather built; the other was a large
'old' farmhouse that was there when it was bought).

=Nadine=