[rescue] Look who's a slashdot weenie!

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 15 21:11:43 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:04:06PM -0500, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:30:08PM -0400, Al Potter wrote:
> > Everything Josh says is correct as far as I know.
> >
> > In real world terms, there are a couple of practical differences (at least
> > around here, south-central PA).
> >
> > 			Amish		Mennonite
> >
> > Buggy:			Black		Grey
> > Transportation:		Scooter		Bicycle
> > Plows with:		Draft Team	Tractor w/ Iron wheels
> > Autos:			Can ride	Can drive for work
>
> It might not be a rare Mennonite to drive a buggy, but it certainly
> isn't all that common in this area.

True, many of them have left this area and gone somewhere where land
is cheaper.  I did see one at Costco the other day though.

Y'know, it's funny how some folks (no one on this list) make fun of
these folks; but they never go into debt, and over time, they sell off
their farms bought for say $1000 per acre to developers or other
farmers for much, much, more than that.

I'd bet that investing in Lancaster Co. farmland over the last 50
years has been a better investment than the S&P 500 or the Dow.  And
it certainly has better tax treatment, and in the meantime they live
on the farm.

(in spite of my last name, my Mennonite family goes back to 1727 or
so).

--Patrick