[rescue] Ultrasparc III paperweights

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Jul 15 16:45:54 CDT 2003

Sorry for the delay in news on this, folks.  It wouldn't have been quite
this long a delay, except our phone lines went down last Wednesday night
in a storm and Sprint didn't get our service restored until yesterday.

Anyway, I've been hunting around to try to find anyone around here who
can embed them into lucite as paperweights, and no-one in this area can
even tell me where to *find* someone who can do it.  And right now, I
really don't have anywhere I can work to do it myself, or anywhere local
that I can get the necessary materials.

So, what I have is limited to bare UltraSparc III processors, 600MHz,
engineering samples, unsupported in anything.  I don't have a ruler
handy, but I estimate they're about 40mm square by 4mm thick.  Does
anyone among the list of those who requested one know of a place that
can turn them into paperweights or have the resources to do so?  And if
it's just going to be bare CPUs instead of paperweights, how many of
those who responded are still interested?

For reference, here's the list of requestees as it now stands.  There
are 12 CPUs, and I'd like to keep one for myself.

1.   Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
2.   Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>
3.   Eric Dittman <dittman at dittman.net>
4.   William Barnett-Lewis <wlewis at mailbag.com>