[rescue] Anyone running Netscape 7 browser on their SPARCs?

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Tue Jul 15 13:16:34 CDT 2003

>From: "Kevin Loch" <kloch at gurunet.net>
>
>Sandwich Maker wrote:
>>
>> "Anyone ever run Mozilla on sun4c ?
>>

>Hell, even on most sun4m's it's too slow to use regularly.
>Only on a HS150 does it become what I would call usable.
>
>Even Netscape 4.x was painful on a LX.  I have never
>found a machine that Netscape 3 runs on that it
>was slow on.  I wish AOL would release the source code
>for 3.x so It could be ported old slow machines
>and/or improved.

An LX is an appliance, not a workstation (despite what Sun claimed).
The Microsparc I simply has pitiful caches that make it unfit for
many (particularly large) applications.

However, it makes a great print server, file server, firewall, small
mail server, etc.... but I wouldn't want one on my desk to surf the
web with (although it might be OK if it was just an X-term so the
application logic and deep memory use can run on a server that fits
that task better).

Don't get me wrong, I like LXes... small form factor, power consumption
is good, etc... but they don't work well as workstations.... at least
not today using today's larger applications and environments.

For instance, it was recommended that WABI not be run on an LX/Classic....
because the code was big, and the X86 processor emulator would constantly
jump out of the caches with most emulated instructions.  WABI ran faster
on a Sparcstation 2 than on Classic/LX.

-- Curt

-- Curt