[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 12 15:02:01 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:26:56PM -0700, N.Miller wrote:

> Consumers I feel pity for, business people I want to smack
> with a clue-by-four.

Yeah, though at some point consumers need to get up and try a little
harder.  I have little sympathy for people who want their computer and
blender to have the same UI and failure modes.

That's just irrational.

It doesn't help that we have a bunch of idiots trying to tell them that
this is possible.

I don't know many consumers who feel like an 18-wheeler should be as
easy to drive as a Honda Civic, so why do they think a computer should
be no more difficult than a toaster?

I can only imagine its partly the promises they've been given, and some
false associations they make between a computer and other devices.