[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 12 12:49:29 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:56:21AM -0400, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> The typical response from a PC to an ECC error is an NMI.  While linux
> dosen't really "support" it, it's rather hard to ignore, and I know from
> experience that it'll bitch like mad if you get one.
> 	Nick

Just because you get an NMI, doesn't mean you know what to do with it,
or that the hardware gives you enough information.

That's what I'm saying: many PCs with ECC are only half-baked
implementations.

As far as I know, no BSD or Linux can actually deal with an ECC problem.

On my old Sun systems, the OS marks the offending RAM unusable and
continues on.  That would be nide for PCs.